Monday, January 30, 2012

Stay healthy and live longer

This post was written long ago sitting in my draft thought I will share it.

Who doesn’t want to be slim and trim? Isn’t that every girl’s dream to fit into the clothes they used to fit in their teenage days?

I never discarded any of my old clothes hoping one day I will lose weight and fit into it. However, that day never came; instead my closet was clogged with clothes. So this time alone I made some serious plans on getting rid of my excess baggage in a different way. All this while, my obsession was always about losing weight but never about healthy living. This was the reason that I never succeeded in my mission.

My mission began with the concept, not just to lose weight but to stay fit and healthy. I tried all the shortcuts in the past starting from extreme diets/crash diets to foolish weight loss pills, nothing really worked. I often got fooled and I failed miserably. The truth is weight loss can only be achieved through hard way. The key to lose and maintain weight is to exercise regularly and follow a healthy and balanced diet. Physical fitness is not something which you can achieve over night; it has to be through regular practice. Fitness is something that what you can do with your body, not how you look (whether you are fat or thin).

I did my research to find a good gym in the neighborhood and enrolled. On my first day, the instructor asked me, what is more important, weight loss or inch loss? I was clueless; I did not know the difference between weight loss and inch loss. I felt weight loss was more important. But the truth is inch loss is more important than the weight loss. If you are overweight, which means you have excess deposits of fat in your body. Fat is like cotton, though it takes up more space, it doesn’t add that much to the weight. Basically two people with the same body size and height can weigh differently. A muscular person of the same size will weigh more than the one who is flabby. If you are on a weight loss program, the first thing you need to keep a track is the inch loss; your weight loss will automatically follow you.

I read it somewhere, that the human body contains up to 30 billion fat cells. If you want to get rid off the fat, you have to shrink your fat cells. The only way you can shrink it is by using the energy stored in them. This can be achieved with a cardio workout. Cardio-respiratory workout refers to a combinational workout for heart and lungs. In simple words any workouts that make you sweat. You can include running, climbing stairs, jumping, hiking, dancing and swimming. For an effective cardio workout, ensure your heart rate goes up and stays high for about 20 minutes. During this 20 minute time, the body will work only with its stored energy. After that it turns to its fat deposits. All of your exercise above 20 minutes will pull from the stored fat. This means that you are burning the fat, which leads to inch loss.

It sounds really strange; however it’s true that you can get thinner without losing weight. Once you start burning fat you will see your body shrinking. You will have to first strengthen your muscles. Muscle strength is about the maximum work a muscle group can do at once. For example, the maximum weight that you can lift at once. If your muscles are strong, you will feel very fit to do any work.

Generally, workouts are classified under these categories. If you incorporate this in your regular exercise, I can bet you can see the results in no time.

Activity for flexibility:

To maintain flexibility in your muscles you should stretch everyday. Stretching is vital.
It prevents you from hurting yourself. This helps you in various ways. You will feel better, have less pain and also be at less risk for injury.

Activity for strength:

Maintaining strength in your muscles will allow you to do more with less effort and pain. You will be able to perform activities with safer techniques.

Activity for endurance:

Endurance will allow you to maintain activities for longer periods. You can build endurance for any activity whether it is walking, gardening, or standing for a longer time.

Activity for aerobic fitness:

Aerobic fitness is accomplished by engaging in activities that moderately raise your heart rate. The activities include walking, swimming, jumping, and dancing. By doing this you can improve the functioning of your heart, lungs and your overall health.

Tips for a healthy living:

  • Exercise regularly
  • Eat a healthy and balanced diet
  • Drink 3 to 4 liters of water everyday
  • Ensure fruits and vegetables are part of your regular diet
  • Eat small, and frequent meals throughout the day
  • Do not fast and feast




No comments:

Post a Comment